Monday, April 16, 2007

PVP Rant of DOOM

I had a quick discussion with my GM of Buttered Monkeys on Burning Legion. We spoke of the frustrations I and my wife were having trying to level on a PVP server. We spoke of the possibility of transfers or re-rolling our chars on a PVE server. 25 bucks per would be a definite hindrance to transfers. New baby, new car too damn many bills. If WE did do a transfer it would prolly only be one char per and the other would get axed and all the proceeds given to the xfer'd. I would easily be in my 30s if I didn’t have to stop and let the gankers get bored before questing once again. I just don’t have the patients to be killed by chars that are so much higher then me that there really is no point in fighting back. It not like they get credit for the killings. No honor = No honor kills. So it comes down to how much you want to harass the opposite faction. I would love the PVP if it was limited to +/- 5 levels, any more then that and it becomes one-sided unless you catch some one at 25% life. It then would only work if they were not too much higher then that +5 levels. With all the resisting, dodging and parrying that the higher level would get it still would prolly be suicide.
Gitr suggested moving to Kalimdor as I and Snow chose to quest in Hillsbrad. I have never been a fan of Kalimdor. Too damn many brown areas, and come on Desolace is a waste of space. The only worth while zones I like on Kalimdor are Feralas and Un'Goro with the top zone being Winterspring. I don’t have any night elves. At least none I have played past 10 and prolly not even that high. I don’t get any kind of warm 'n fuzzy from the areas they have to quest in. This pretty much covers all of Kalimdor. So being forced by idiot level 60-70 alliance players that enjoy camping Tarren Mill for no reason (since they sure as hell don’t get honor for it) to have to transfer continents just sos I can level up enough to defend my self takes much of the fun out of the game.

I can expect many a derisive comments on being a care bear, but it stands to reason if I didn’t want to PVP I would not have tried it out on a PVP server. The over kill ratio I and any low levels have to deal with smacks of laziness not only from the programmers but also the players that get a kick out of one shotting level 20’s as they get off the bat in TM. Yeah I like to level in peace, I do also like the thrill of seeing a red labeled enemy approaching. However if I see a skull where their level should be I think to myself: “What are they getting out of this? A chance to tell their friends they got a 1550 arcane shot crit on a 23 mage?” That’s like me proclaiming in /gchat that I just got a 2500 ambush crit on a rat in Shattered Halls. This I actually did as a joke. Very few cared but it was a funny blurb. No new prestige was bestowed upon me for it. It was just something done off hand. This is what it seems be a re-occurring theme on PVP servers. “Get high enough so you can camp the lowest level PVP flagged area of the opposite faction so you can get back what was taken from you”. If I stick around on a PVP server long enough I can see me repeating this behavior and terrorizing the lobbies on the Alliance side. Well maybe for an hour or two, then it would get boring as a waste of time.

Again I hear people say this is how it is on PVP’s but I think it is a smokescreen put there by blizzard to control the idiots. Let them have there way on PVP’s so they don’t realize that they have a flawed PVP system. Blizzard knows they need restrictions on PVP. Why else would there be brackets in the PVP Battle Grounds. If level was not such an important thing then why don’t level 11s and 70s play in the same BG. “Oh but they do,’ you say,” It’s called the world of Azeroth across both continents and in the Outlands”

Bullshit. True PVP would have balance. I’m not talking a ‘rock, paper, scissors’’ approach. I’m talking a dynamic system where you can not attack a player that is so far below your level that battle would be decidedly one sided. They have made a measly attempt with the honor gained being only applicable with players being near each others level. (Not sure what the actual spread is as I haven’t PVP regularly since pre BC.) I still see level 60+ shepherding lower levels in PVP even though they can’t get dick for honor and I wonder if they even get the kill if it was a high level doing the killing. Even so they wouldn’t get near as many points per kill, if any, than if they manned up and took on some like level characters. I got real excited yesterday when I spotted a level 24 rogue of the opposite faction. I was quite willing to die for trying him out PVP. He decided to run and not even try me. I was the same level! Perhaps the prospect of a possible loss out weighs the certainty of a win if he was more then 10 levels higher.

What I want is PVP with like levels +/- 5 levels to make it interesting. I’m not talking a new BG or the old ones with the +/- 10 difference in levels. It is still a bit much since pros like to linger at the high end for maximum Honor gain and viability in those BGS. Maybe even a penalty for high levels ganking levels low enough to be a ridiculously one sided fight. I’m not talking Dishonorable Kills and point reduction. I’m talking a de-buff that shows how pathetic these people are. Something like:

Aura of the Ganker (Name subject to change)
Duration 1 hour
Causes all damage effects, spells and attacks to be 10% reduced for duration of aura.
Affects all party members whether or not they took part in the killing. (Leaving the group of a Ganker will remove the de-buff from all but the Ganker unless you were grouped with said Ganker for the kill and were within 50 yards of kill.
A yellow streak will appear on the back of the Ganker and those grouped with the Ganker for the Duration of the De-buff.
Multiple killings of Honorless lowbies will result in a brighter and bigger Yellow streak and will increase the de-buff by 10% for every kill after the first one for the duration of the de-buff. (Was 5% but I decided, in for a penny in for a pound.)
Cumulative for the duration of the de-buff.
Percentage of reduction based upon pre-de-buff stats. De-buff will go above 100% reduction. (So after 10 kills reduction is -100%. It can go higher. By the time you reach this level of cowardice you will only be a yellow streak rollin around the country side. )
*I reserve the right to edit this as I come up with a better de-buff scenario.
**I’ll prolly get zinged for the double hyphen.

This may not be that big a deterrent. I’m sure some would shoot for a de-buff where they can’t do enough damage to kill a rat. I’m just saying why not have something like the de-buff you get for leaving a BG early.

This has been a rant brought to you by the Idiot Gankers of Burning Legion camping Tarren Mill the entire week I had off to level my Belf Mage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

/clap

Lance said...

/Applause I finally left TM due to the horible ganking by 30+ level character's above me.

Anonymous said...

Definately seems to be some rampant cowardice where PvP is concerned. I was ganked, my fault for being flagged and leaving the keyboard a sec. It was stupid on my part and I paid the price. That didn't bother me what bothered me was the cowardice desplayed by the gankers. I went to Camp Mojache to call them out for a rematch. You know, fight on even ground. Don't be a wuss. Fight with me behind my keyboard you chicken shit. They wouldn't do it Funny thing is they were only 3 levels below me. If players are going to gain honor under certain conditions, they should lose it for behaving cowardly.